Treat your Valentine to a primal snack.
You can’t go wrong with this Paleo recipe.
Inspiration: I was looking around trying to find recipes that contained coconut oil due to its many health benefits. I was happy when I stumbled upon this recipe because not only does it contain coconut oil, but it’s packed full of protein. For an added twist I added the chocolate. This is a wonderful treat that you can have any time of the day. You deserve to treat yourself.
2 cup almonds (soaked, dehydrated and roasted)
2 cup pecans (soaked, dehydrated and roasted)
1 cup nut flour (I use hazelnut flour)
1 cup almond butter (I make my own but you can also use Mara Natha)
1 cup coconut oil (I prefer Tropical Traditions or Nutiva)
1/8 cup of honey or Grade B maple syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bar Vintage Plantations 90% chocolate (or you can use Theo 90% chocolate)
1 cup of unsweetened shredded dried coconut
1. Place the nuts in a food processor, and process until they are a coarse meal. Don’t pulse too much – you want pieces of nuts to remain. Place the nuts in a medium-sized bowl with the nut flour and stir to combine.
2. Break the chocolate bar into small pieces and place into a food processor and pulse until the chocolate is chopped into a powder with tiny chunk remaining.
3. Combine the chocolate, coconut oil and almond butter in a microwave safe bowl, and microwave for about 20 seconds. Stir together well, then mix in the honey, vanilla, and salt.
4. Add the almond butter mixture to the nuts and stir well to combine.
5. Add in the dried coconut.
6. Pour into a 9×11 inch baking dish that is lined with parchment paper and smooth it edge to edge.
7. Chill in the fridge for one hour, or until solid.
8. Cut into squares, and keep chilled until ready to eat.
Written By: Dana M. Brandt, Licensed Massage Thearpist and Personal Paleo Guide